Thursday, October 7, 2010

Breast Cancer Support should be more than just a status

In a departure from my usual sports posts, I would like to use my blog to focus on something actually important: breast cancer. If you haven't been living under a rock, you must be aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. The color pink appears in everything from NFL games to yogurt tops, and lately, through Facebook.

Probably like most guys, I was confused when my female friends on Facebook began posting "I like it on (fill in the blank location)." I then learned the status updates were for breast cancer awareness and the location is simply the place where you leave your purse.

Breast Cancer is a brutal and vicious disease that affects tens of thousands of women (and men) in a given year. Most of the time, any awareness for cancer is a good thing. Using the power and influence of Facebook to promote breast cancer awareness is great idea. As the piece in the Canadian National Post states, is the "I like it on __________" campaign, really helping to promote breast cancer awareness and fundraising?

I don't really see how saying where your purse is, directly impacts breast cancer awareness and research. I think its a catchy way to market breast cancer awareness, but there are flaws to it. Breast cancer awareness also involve fundraising, and include both men and women. The fact that men do not carry purses and thus cannot participate in the "I like it on _______" campaign, risks alienating men who can be afflicted by this disease and who can actively donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation and other breast cancer awareness groups.

Seeing the "I like it on_________" statuses has inspired me to make a small donation to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and I hope other people do the same. If you already donate to breast cancer, you should be commended. Encourage your family and friends about why its important to donate and how critical research is to finding a cure. If you have not donated, even a donation of $1 or $5 would make a difference. If you really care about making a statement, you should do something to contribute to a cause you believe in.

A donation of any size matters more than letting friends know where you keep your purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment