Saturday, November 21, 2009

College Football

I'm a huge college football fan, so every Saturday I'll give you my take on College Football. I'll start with the early games, and post later about the afternoon games in College football

Ohio State-Michigan
Ohio State beat Michigan 21-10 to win their six straight game, in what I think is the best rivalry in sports, though it hasn't been much of a rivalry lately. Jim Tressel has done an amazing job with Ohio State. They are often criticized for their results in the BCS games the past few years and for Tressel's "conservative" approach. However, if conservative means dominating your conference, a national championship, a couple other national championships, and a majority of the Big Ten championships, then I thank that a lot of teams/fans would want to be in that situation. Ohio State is the Big Ten team of the 2000s and the second best team isn't even close.

Notre Dame
Notre Dame plays UConn today, and it looks like a win is necessary for ND coach Charlie Weis to keep his job. Many are already speculating that he will be replaced by the ND athletic director at the end of the season. Bloggers have been talking about possible replacements including Jon Gruden (currently with ESPN's Monday Night Football) and Brian Kelly, the Cincinnati coach who I think is one of the best coaches in the country. In any case, I hope Northwestern's coach Pat Fitzgerald doesn't get lured away.

National Championship contenders
Florida, Alabama, and TCU all won by at least 35. Texas plays later tonight. Cincinnati is off until they play Pittsburgh in 22 weeks in what should be a great game. Boise State won big on Friday after a close start. I think the National Championship right now will most likely be between the Florida/Alabama winner and Texas. I'd love to see a team from a BCS-non Automatic Qualifier make it to the National Championship, though I don't know how likely it is to happen

No comments:

Post a Comment